‘We know that a good education is the key to improving young people’s life chances, to enable them to progress into adulthood with the skills and confidence for success. The Pupil Premium will provide schools with the resources with which to address inequalities in the system and raise the attainment of those pupils from low-income families’. (DfE)
WHAT IS IT?The pupil premium is additional funding given to publicly funded schools in England to raise the attainment of disadvantaged pupils and close the gap between them and their peers.
Pupil premium funding is available to both mainstream and non-mainstream schools and it is paid to schools according to the number of pupils who have been:
• registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years (Ever 6)
Pupil Premium Plus is available to support looked-after children. Eligibility for funding has been extended to all children who:
• have been looked after for 1 day or more
• were adopted from care on or after 30 December 2005 left care under:
a Special Guardianship Order on or after 30 December 2005
a Residence Order on or after 14 October 1991
There is also the Service Premium, which is designed to provide additional (mainly pastoral) support for children with parents serving in the regular British armed forces.
Pupils attract the service premium if they meet the following criteria:
• one of their parents is serving in the regular armed forces
• one of their parents served in the regular armed forces in the last 3 years
• one of their parents died while serving in the armed forces and the pupil is in receipt of a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and the War Pensions Scheme (WPS)
ACCOUNTABILITY‘The Pupil Premium for disadvantaged pupils will provide additional funding specifically linked to disadvantaged pupils with the primary objective of boosting their attainment …. We will expect schools to account to parents for how it is used’ (page 81, White Paper 2010)
The following links outline our Pupil Premium Guarantee to young people and their families at Brook Green.
Pupil Premium: Closing The Gap ~ Our Guarantee
Year 7 Catch up Report 2015-16